Monday, April 16, 2007



On playing with "fabrics" and effects replicated in needlepoint - the object of the preliminary stitching on the "Crazy Quilt" pieces is to duplicate the effect of the fabric patches, and not just make a sampler collection of textured needlepoint stitches. After all, the embellishment is the important part - in addition, of course, to the color selections and the shapes, etc. I started this exercise for myself in preparation for attempting Allison's beautiful block that was created for my first article in Needlepoint Now magazine - to be "out" next week. Small ornaments seemed to be the best way to practice and invent, so I chose a small border block from the Fan Quilt to begin. It is below in this blog, along with the assemblage of the stitching materials (the exciting part, but here it is again in case you missed it: Starting with the mottled purple patch, I found two purple silks in approximately the same colors, and used a simple stitch to show both. It seemed a good idea to further enhance by adding beads for a bit of sparkle. (better for a Christmas ornament) For the red, which is another fabric with shades, I used an overdyed cotton by Caron Collection, and by using a horizontally worked stitch, there are "shades" showing well but subtly. For the green, where the silk ribbon embellishment will be, I chose a silk and worked it in a simple textured stitch to avoid it's being boring, but not to overwhelm and fight with the embroidery. It is, after all, just a background. The gold patch seemed to require a diagonal pattern (in my mind), so it was worked in a slanted stitch with a satiny looking rayon ribbon floss - with gold beads for sparkle. This is what the unembellished ornament looks like: My mind is a bit foggy as I'm doing this - as I have been packing for the great move to my daughter's house until my new one is ready. Looking forward to it as an "extended visit." I do hope she is. Hopefully I will soon have this piece all embroidered with silk ribbon and other yummy things, and Vikki will add big beads and a wonderful tassel at the bottom.

3 comments:

Allison Ann Aller said...

Now I am starting to see what you are up to with all of this. It is just fascinating to me how you are using the different stitches to emulate various fabric colors and surfaces.
These are going to be just incredibly rich...what a concept, Judy!
And yes, you must get that new camera a.s.a.p!!!!

Granny Fran said...

It never occurred to me to try to replicate the fabrics with stitches. I love that idea for making the CQ block look rich, like the original one. I hope you do post often in this process, it is fascinating. Best wishes on your change of habitation. Moving is such a tough job.
You ought to consider joining the Quilt Studio web ring so those who follow Allison's work can see what you are doing. We'd love to welcome you to our group.

Granny Fran said...

Yes, we definitely want to see clearer photos of your gorgeous work.