Monday, June 30, 2008
This canvas was enjoyable to stitch, and simple, as it was the silk ribbon flowers that were to be the important part. With only five patches, the flowers show up well, and aren't overshadowed by a lot of pattern and texture in the background. Incidentally, my camera seems to make a better image than the scanner, as the colors here are true, and the beads show up better (which is why I opted to use the camera). Also, the flowers aren't mashed!!
Sunday, June 29, 2008
It was necessary to put this thing away from time to time this afternoon, as it gets tiresome and confusing if I work on it too long. I'm sure there will be things I don't care for by tomorrow when I look at it with a fresh eye - or maybe some small element to add that would help. Anyway - it will stay like this for a day or two until I look at it again. The beads will be added last, and will jazz it up a bit. I have chosen beads that don't sparkle - but rather shine nicely, as "pearls" on the Hungarian criss-cross patch, and clear beads on the pink/purple patch with matching floss to apply them. A subtle effect is needed here so as not to distract from the embroidery. The pink flowers are a bit mashed from the scanner - but I am thinking they need a second layer anyway, as the petals look a bit limp and skimpy to me.
This one is in the stage of "laying in the color" - which means I tried one at a time to see what looks best where out of my pile of potential threads. So far, it is not looking anything like the piece I saw in my mind - but it's interesting, so I will continue and see what happens. Sometimes these things take charge and do as they please. I'm never really sure what to expect in the beginning.
Friday, June 27, 2008
Several people have asked if I plan these things ahead. I learned the hard way a while back not to, when I "planned" one quite a bit larger than this, and had every patch, including color swatches of the threads taped on. That didn't work - as nothing looked quite right when I followed this pre-conceived notion of mine, and I ended up changing almost everything. I have found also that it is much more entertaining to just dump out threads, choose a basic color scheme and build as I go - not really intending to use them all, but having plenty of choices available.
In this case, I had been studying Allie's "Spring" quilt that has lots and lots of silk tie fabrics, (see this quilt here)and wanted to start with the pink and blue patch, which closely resembles a patch on hers. I will put little "pearl" beads in to the spaces marked with dots that are between the criss-cross Hungarian stitches. Having started with one patch, it is easy to select the next color and figure where to put it, so it's really just a matter of adding a bit at a time - it seems to fall together as it should. That little bit of teal rick-rack happened when the thread fell out of the bag onto the colors I had chosen, and looked so fine I decided to go ahead and use it. Notice that on the darker pink/purple patch on the left, the dots were marked before stitching basketweave around them for later placement of beads.
The next step is to begin the seam treatments. I like to make the main "vine" effect first, onto which the silk ribbon flowers will be made as the main embellishment feature. I won't know what color these flowers will be until I pour out the bag of silk ribbon and see what looks best. I don't dare work on this when I'm tired, as I will get careless or get in a hurry and make a mess - soooo will put it away for this evening and start background patches on the yellow one. I'm making the patches mainly with silk, and rather plain, as the predominant feature will be some new flowers I want to try with the 7mm ribbon I found at Riversilks - gorgeous stuff!.
Wednesday, June 25, 2008
Tuesday, June 24, 2008
My "crazy quilt" heart is coming along nicely - so I pulled out this fine silk ribbon I bought a while back to try, and it's perfect with the "stash" threads I'm using! The ribbon is from River Silks, and is new to me. It has a lovely sheen, and comes in the 7mm width that I enjoy using for flowers. I also bought the 4mm width in the same colors so I'll have choices when the work is begun for embellishing.
Friday, June 20, 2008
Friday, June 13, 2008
Also, at the present time, I have a NN deadline pushing - so need to get my mind clear and on that. Meanwhile, if you haven't already done so, please go look at Gail Hendrix's gorgeous feathered critters - which I would rather be stitching instead of my own!! See them here at "Squiggeeland"