Thursday, August 02, 2007


This seems to be going a bit slowly - but I'm working on three at the same time, in addition to other projects - including babysitting my little buddy Jake, who ate too much chocolate Monday night and couldn't go to "school" for two days. We rather enjoyed the quality alone time, but by yesterday afternoon, I think we were stepping on each other's last nerve ending. He is a bit energetic for this pore old tired Granny. - BUT having the opportunity is good. Anyway, Allie is back now, and has embellished the Floral 9-patch border block I was attempting to duplicate in needlepoint - and here it is so far. I really l ike this one, as it has an unusual elegance about it - and the richness of the fabrics is a challenge. I especially like the leaf appliques, but will have to hone my skills at stem stitch to make all those veins freehand on top of the stitches. This is a detail of one corner: The block with the pretty colors has barely been started - not enough time by my deadline. I have changed my mind, anyway, about what I will do to it. It is very colorful, and I do look forward to working on it. The last one is going to be a floral thing - lots of color with silk ribbon flowers, beads and "stuff." Alternating between all that green and this one has been pleasant. My canvases look a bit "warpy" - but I have been working for nearly 40 years without a frame, and refuse to start using one now - These will block beautifully when my friend Vikki gets her hands on them, although she will grumble a bit. I just can't see the point in juggling a big, clumsy frame for stitching. (I do use one sometimes when doing the silk ribbon embroidery, as that requires both hands.)

3 comments:

allie aller said...

Wow,Judy, this is just a thrill to see what you are doing! This is such an utterly unique approach to needlepoint.
I am honored to be a participant in this process.....

Denise said...

Hello, Judy....love your doll that Jill made and the things you grouped together. Great story too....I think your Aunt Shirley should have been flattered you named a cow after her!! ;)

Andi said...

Wow, your needlepoint is beautiful! I found your blog through Jill. I live in Florida and have a blog as well. Drop by sometime.