Tuesday, December 09, 2008

CQ Birthday Heart: January

Lately I've wondered if I started my Freebies blog just so I could change the header every month and use the Crazy of the Month. I just realized that for needlepoint purposes, January is almost here - and I have no CQ heart to celebrate.

During the last few days, I have started "seeing" the images in my head, so gave in to it today and made the sketches. I had already looked at images and symbolism for garnets on the internet, and have felt that only the antique jewelry would do for this. (I had a college roommate who collected antique garnet lavoliers - beautiful things!) Anyway, this one took some serious doodling on scrap canvas to get the effect I wanted. The beads were already in my stash - the Sundance size 14, color #315. For the first time in quite a while, I was unable to see a curved seam on this crazy quilt.

The next step was to go ahead and draw the heart onto canvas, and place the "necklace" - stitch by stitch. Being an impatient person, I had to stitch the gold (Kreinik metallic braid V002) and a few "jewels." The beads were such a perfect color I didn't dig any further into my stash for the garnets! So far, these are the colors that seem right for the project - but, as always, I'm sure the thing will have a mind of its own, and will dictate what goes where as the work progresses.

Carnations are the flowers, and I have chosen probably to use the traditional shades of pink and white - and will do them with silk ribbon, of course. Seam treatments will be stitched on top of the work when it's finished.

5 comments:

g said...

I'm sure this will be as pretty and well thought out as all the others...I like the pattern of the jewels...you know me , i have a love of the sparkle...
xoxoxoxox
g

NCPat said...

Wonderful! I love jewels!

LIZ said...

Small world this blogging, huh? I always enjoy your column!
This new heart looks great so far, as a Jan b-day girl, I love garnets!

Jane said...

Looking forward to seeing this one come to life, January is my month

Jan said...

An interesting new twist to the hearts you did the past year. I can't wait to see how this one turns out.