Monday, January 05, 2009

Bargello as Art

I enjoyed bargello in the 70's, as it was popular then - but never really got "hooked" on it, as I was a painted canvas designer, and my stitching preferences were there also, with representational components rather than abstract. I did study and admire the old classic books by Elsa Williams and Dorothy Kaestner (4-way), and was fascinated with the patterns and color changes involved. Several years ago, I dug out those old books, but only to do a few small ornaments - most of which I have presented on "Freebies, etc."

It was when I received my advance copy of Needlepoint Now and saw Liz Morrow's gorgeous work on the cover that I went in search of her blog, (Jan Fitzpatrick of Thread Medley helped me with this) and found the most astonishingly beautiful bargello one can imagine! She literally uses this medium as an art form, and "paints" with her needle and thread what look like landscapes, as well as the traditional abstract patterns - and even these are different from the "norm."
These works could be classified, I think, as "Art Bargello."!! The stitch is in its true form, but with pattern and color arranged to evoke the feeling of the landscape where she lives and vacations.


Anyway, to see these things for yourself, go visit Lizart and see them in a lovely slide show she has presented, along with instructions how to enlarge each for closer study and enjoyment. There are other posts there also of her stitching, which is really quite beautiful and well done - I'm spending a lot of time there myself!! It's always a treat to find something really gorgeous that I've not seen before.

2 comments:

Love to Stitch 99 said...

WOW, this is absolutely gorgeous. I have always loved bargello, but these designs are really special.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Does Liz sell her designs, do you know?

Pierrette =^..^=

Colleen formerly of South Africa said...

Lovely patterns, I've not needlepointed in a long time...but so appreciate it.