Thursday, December 16, 2010

Elegant Chickens!!

The chickens have now decided I'm no threat to their health and well being, so I was able to get kind of semi-close to them today for picture taking. I've been told that if I would take their favorite bowl full of something called "chicken scratch" out to them, we would have an instant bonding for a close and loving relationship. I'll try that after this present cold front passes..

This first photo is the view from my bedroom window - the "cottage" thing is my SIL's retreat - where he goes when he is not in favor with his wife - the doghouse, I think it's called.


It's also his woodworking shop, but I think he needs to intall a bathroom and efficiency kitchen and let me live in it and use it for a studio, as it has a vaulted ceiling and a skylight. Anyway, You can see the chickens back in the corner, which is what sent me running for my camera and the trip outside.
The closeup shot of three girls is showing "Pillow," who is the largest - and so named by the little boys because she is all white and very fluffy. Then "Betsy," who is not large at all, but is definitely the head chicken of this bunch. (the white one with the black tail.) This has been very amusing to watch, as she definitely establishes herself in the "pecking order." The dark one is "Henrietta."


This seems like a lot of trivia about nothing - but watching these feathered ladies has been one of the greatest stress relief things I've had in a very long time - it makes me smile!! Also, it has relaxed me enough, I think, to begin drawing and painting and stitching again. That feels good.

6 comments:

Cool City Stitcher said...

I'm glad you're feeling better, and hope you start designing and painting soon.. 'have been missing your posts.

I agree that it's fun to watch birds, even the doves and sparrows that come to our feeders.

Marcy said...

Watching critters is a fun, relaxing past time. Enjoy your chicken watching :)

Anonymous said...

I hope the girls continue to create smiles and inspiration for some new stitching ideas in the new year.

Possibilities, Etc. said...

Laughing at the little grandson's efforts to lure them where I can see them better is a lot of the enjoyment.

coral-seas said...

It is surprising what can bring balance back into your life. I could spend hours at the kitchen window watching the birds on the feeders. I used to think that the first birds on the feeder were the brave souls willing to take a risk. Following a natural history show, I now know that they are the young inexperiences birds. The older, wiser birds wait for them to see if it is safe to come out!

LIZ said...

Critter watching is always a rewarding experience! Enjoy!