Monday, June 30, 2008

A Few Beads More!

It's amazing what a few little beads can do to the surface of a needlepoint piece to jazz it up a bit. This is exactly what was missing, I think, as it was looking a bit lifeless before. The beads on the left side are my favorites of the Sundance beads - the #250 clear. These are the smooth ones rather than the hexagonals, as I didn't want glitter, but just a subtle textured effect with some shine. These beads have a rather iridescent surface, and reflect the surrounding background color as well. Also, by using floss the same color as the background silk to apply the beads, they look the same color, but with a different effect than I would have with pink/purple beads - and I like it much better!

This canvas was enjoyable to stitch, and simple, as it was the silk ribbon flowers that were to be the important part. With only five patches, the flowers show up well, and aren't overshadowed by a lot of pattern and texture in the background. Incidentally, my camera seems to make a better image than the scanner, as the colors here are true, and the beads show up better (which is why I opted to use the camera). Also, the flowers aren't mashed!!

8 comments:

Judy S. said...

This heart turned out beautifully, Judy, and I agree the beads are a great finishing touch. I went to the Riverdance website but couldn't figure out how to order...

Judy S. said...

PS Make that Riversilk! LOL

Love to Stitch 99 said...

Judy,

I just love this one. When will it be available for purchase?

Pierrette =^..^=
LovetoStitch99@comcast.net

NCPat said...

The beads and the ribbon are both just the right touches!

Clarkey said...

This is beautiful. You do wonderful work.

Nina said...

It was fun working this piece with you. I was surprised yet delighted with some of your selections. Finished, I think it's simply lovely indeed.

tintocktap said...

Wow this is beautiful! I love the idea of crazy quilting in needlepoint.

New Orleans Ladder said...

Hey Ms. Judy,
I saw you on my stat counter and just had to have your bead post for today's Ladder...you know how we love our beads in New Orleans!
That is such a cool thing!
Thank you,
Bruce
Editilla~New Orleans News Ladder
http://noladder.blogspot.com/