Thursday, October 23, 2008

Crazy for December Finished!

It's all done, and I have to remind myself that I like the "hand made" look vs. machine - so forgive myself for some of the irregularities I couldn't avoid. Like the raised spider webs not being equally spaced. I usually do the two outside ones first, and then center the middle one - but "haste is the enemy of perfection," and I was tired and not thinking. Oh well. It's pretty.
I have really enjoyed researching the symbolism for December. The narcissus and mistletoe have been done, and now the holly: In many ancient cultures it has been a symbol of the waning solstice, which ends at the winter solstice - the shortest day of the year, when it begins to wax again. The Druids believed that the evergreen nature of the holly made it sacred, as it remains green throughout the winter and keeps the earth beautiful. Holly was used for decoration throughout homes with its being used for boughs over entrances or for wreaths on doors. This custom originated in Ireland, since holly was one of the main plants that was green and very beautiful with its red berries at this of year, and gave poor people a means of decorating their dwellings. It was also believed to give the inhabitants of such a dwelling prosperity and peace for the coming year.
As for the turquoise, throughout history and in many cultures, it has represented the earth and sky, and protection of the body and soul. For a really really interesting read on this, click on this link and enjoy! (go to "spiritual belielfs and symbolism) As this beautiful stone is found all over the planet, many cultures have spiritual symbolism attached to it.

5 comments:

Jane said...

Beautiful-used to love seeing the holly and mistle with the berries, adds colour to what could be a very drap month

Mary Corbet said...

Beautiful!! I really love the combinations of color and motifs on this one! Well, on all of them, but this one is really striking. My favorite so far!

Love to Stitch 99 said...

One of these days, sooner than later hopefully, I will stitch the beautiful heart that I bought from you. It is on my list of things to do :-)

Pierrette =^..^=

NCPat said...

I love the mistletoe!

Cyn said...

Hi Judy,

Very beautiful!

The unaligned snowflakes add to it's charm!

Cynthia
Windy Meadow