Monday, July 05, 2010

Wildflowers in Needlepoint: A Cross

Another "relic" in the files. I didn't bother to toss this one, as I had already done that a number of years ago, to no avail. It was one of those things I painted simply to show that I could render Texas wildflowers to look like they actually do - with correct colors and foliage, and shading painted for easy stitching. Of course, as things do that I don't like to paint, it sold very well, so to stop that, I simply threw away the pattern.

One delightful and lovely shop owner, Nancy Laux of Needle House in Houston, called one day to order more of them, and I told her, regretfully, that it was discontinued, and that I no longer even had the original drawing. About two days later, I received in the mail this full size color scan of the first wildflower cross I had sent her.

What does one do? I traced the design, filled her order, and painted four more. However, I then permanently retired this piece, although I couldn't bear to throw away the scan - it will always remind me of Nancy's determination and very firm but sweet way of doing business. I still laugh when I run across it in the "obsolete" files.

This canvas is an example of one that would be ruined by using textured stitches and/or different kinds of fibers, as it is quite bright and busy enough as it is, and doesn't need any more distraction. The flowers are placed so that a balance of design is achieved, and the eye is led where it needs to go by the placement of the colors. It could easily become an "eye shattering mess" if gooped up with more texture. Basketweave with simple thread - cotton floss or silk - will do well enough.

This dates back to my wildflower days when I was taking hundreds of photographs at the National Wildflower Research Center - and painting needlepoint and other accessories from the real thing.

4 comments:

anne stradal said...

How beautiful! Too bad you retired it.

Cool City Stitcher said...

It's lovely. I can see where it would take hours to paint, but what a joy to stitch, all in basketweave and with floss or silk.

Front Range Stitcher said...

Many thanks to the ever-so-thoughtful shop owner that sent you a scan. Otherwise we would have missed these beautiful flowers.

Rachel said...

This is a very good example of the sort of canvas best worked simply. I can just imagine how frustrating it must have been to keep having to paint it when you weren't keen on it yourself!