Saturday, August 14, 2010

Calla Lilies and Earrings - the Angel Progresses

The angel with calla lilies has been very enjoyable, due to the bright colors - she's so cheerful!

The lilies are conventionalized, as they are in Mexican art, and rather flat looking, so I jazzed them up a bit by using Kreinik #032 blending filament with #3865 white in basketweave. I like this white better than the "blanc," which is great for many things, but would be too glaring for this piece.

I also felt that due to the lilies' being flat, the background should be textured a bit. Normally I don't do this, but in this case it worked! Nobuko was used, and I'm pleased with the way it fills the area - which was, of course, first bordered by outlining with the burgundy to keep the edges neat.


For the headband, neck trim, and earrings, I used Kreinik metallic 1/16" ribbon in 001Vintage silver. I chose using the ribbon instead of braid, as, due to the construction, the ribbon lies flatter and has a beautiful sheen - especially on the "bump" stitch that makes the earrings.

The hair is worked with satin stitches and DMC floss in 4 plies. The turquoise insets are RG Frosty Rays YO34. I would have preferred using the petite FR, but this is what was in my stash already, and the color is perfect.

Next, showing another idea that popped into my head yesterday. I had to make a quick sketch on crumpled tracing ipaper - but it serves. I decided to do one with a fat braid on top of her head, and a flower on the side.

The next step was to put the tracing under a piece of scrap canvas and play with stitch drawing it so that it works and will stitch properly. I have no idea at this point what she'll be wearing. The colored Sharpie drawing pens are great at this point! This is a project for another day - hopefully by Monday! Meanwhile, several people have asked what I'll do with these angels.

I have mentioned "stand-ups" several times, and by this, I mean a flat, padded, shaped piece with an easel on the back. I want people to see that angels in needlepoint have other uses besides just hanging on a Christmas tree, and as they are guardians, after all, they need to be visible all year..

This is the back of a Celtic cross I did a number of years ago. Vikki Pinson did the finishing, and, as always, did a remarkable job.


It is flat, lightly padded, and backed with moire'. There is also a cord attached for eventual hanging on a wall, if desired. Vikki only needs about two threads of background stitched around these shapes, as she does all of the stitching by hand - no glue at all - so is able to curve it neatly and well where necessary.





















On this cross, I didn't yet know about using fewer rows of background, so added too much. Oh well.

7 comments:

Cool City Stitcher said...

The angel is very lovely. The cross is a work of art..

Jan said...

This one is going to be stunning! The lilies look wonderful with the blending filament. Can't wait for the yellow dress to be stitched.

Rachel said...

This is a lovely finishing idea. So nice to see something other than pictures and cushions!

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

OOOOooooo! A Frida angel! I love the braided hair with the flower and elaborate earrings. I know exactly what your angel is going to wear, too. Check these out--
http://dmc-threads.com/embroidery-oaxaca/

Here's Frida Kahlo herself in a plain white blouse. I'm sure her skirt will be fabulous.
http://fullmoonfever.wordpress.com/category/frida-kahlo/

I think this is one I'm going to have to stitch. Need a volunteer stitcher?

Jane, your admirer in CH

Possibilities, Etc. said...

I have the same huipil pictures, as "Emma" got them from a mutual friend of ours - However, I had more in mind the China Poblana. Frida was not exactly angelic.

LIZ said...

The Nuboku stitch works beautifully. This is going to be a really pretty angel.
Love the new face & hair you have drawn too. And I agree, Freida was certainly not angelic, nor was she likely to have been anybody's guardian!!

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

You are probably right, Judy. Frida wasn't angelic. Still, I kind of like the idea of a tough cookie as my guardian angel, don't you?

Jane, waving happily in CH where we adore your angels (and think China a great idea)